Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Our Bizarre Stranger Encounter

Yesterday Evan had his monthly ENT appointment. These visits are crucial for us since I am obsessed with keeping his ears clean and free of skin debris. You can see in the video I posted, My World & Ichthyosis, that it is a never ending battle removing skin from his ears. Not only in those nooks and crannies but down his ear canal, up to his ear drum. There is an ENT office a few miles closer than Yale, cutting the round trip drive down to 100 miles. To top the morning off, it was snowing and raining. But the drive wasn't too bad, what happened in the waiting room was what made the trip weird.

Once we walked into the office, the waiting room was packed. It wasn't our typical appointment time so I wasn't surprised. Of course, as when we go to most places, everyone had to have a look at Evan. Most of the reactions or expressions on others faces were typical. A few of the 'eagerly trying to look again' folk too. I ignored it as I usually do with a smile. So I checked in and sat down rolling Evan's stroller up to me. He was directly facing another man, who ironically enough was one of the 'eager lookers'.

I grab a bottle and gave Evan a little drink. I talked to him and had him play with his teddy bear. I noticed the man next to us had his phone and was playing on it. Or I thought. All of a sudden I hear the snapshot of his phone camera. I jolted my head up and looked at him then instantly and obviously turned Evan's stroller in the opposite direction. It was instantly awkward but I didn't say anything. I looked around the room and with the way things were positioned and the way he was holding his phone, unless he took a picture of himself, it was of Evan. Really? People really do things like that? So weird. And if he did take a picture, what exactly would be he do with it? Show people he saw a red baby? I don't get it.

I am not the confrontational type of person but of course now I wish I said something. Luckily, I happened to be texting with Courtney (Brenna's Mom) and she was quick to defend us which made things less awkward for me in the waiting room. :-) Our doctor came right up to us to greet us and chatted with Evan before we went in. I was tempted to mention the situation in the waiting room to him but I didn't. And though it still bugs me, we move on because it unfortunately will probably not be the first or last bizarre encounter with a stranger. I want to teach Evan to stand up for himself but when necessary. I feel that killing others with kindness is a more appropriate way of dealing with awkward stranger encounters but obviously defending oneself when needed. I'm a 'glass is half full' type of gal and would rather keep things positive and try not to let insignificant things get to me. Apparently, I have a thick skin too.



And here is some Evan and Bruli cuteness!


Yes, I did it again!



Photobucket 

10 comments:

  1. I'll keep a lookout on Reddit and see if it shows up there. People are amazing, and amazingly rude, sometimes.

    Boundaries, people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awful! Voyeurism. I've been photographed a few times - I hate it. Last time a bunch of teens took my photo on a train and I defended myself to the point of shaking. You should have told the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to think that he was just taking a picture of himself, but experience, and comments like Carly's are too telling. Perhaps in an encounter like this, if words fail, the naturally curious but grossly inappropriate photo-taker should have a camera or cell phone pointed back at them and a picture snapped. Maybe for that person to think, "Now why did he/she just take a picture of me and what will be done with it" would be enough for him/her to see how ridiculous and thoughtless it was to do the same.

    It's always easier later to think of something one would say. Next time, try taking the person's photo. Most would be to embarrassed or "busted" to ask why you photographed them. However, if they do, just say, "Oh. It's because you look different. I might want to show someone."

    --Matthew. SLS Ichthyosis parent

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have had to buy him a new phone before he walked away with a picture(but that's not such a good way to handle things, haha). I've never noticeably been photographed but if I or my baby was in the position, I definitely wouldn't have the power to keep my composer! We're not a science experiment or in the circus. I'm sorry y'all had to deal with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is against the law to photograph children without parental permission.... I would call the doctor's off and tell them of your experience. You don't have to be polite when it comes to protecting your son and you know know what kind of website where photo might be posted. If this happens again tell the jerk that if he doesn't delete photo you will call police!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops! Meant call doctor's office....

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is NOTHING positive when someone takes a picture of your child without your permission!!!!!!!! Call the doctor's office and let them know what happened. You don't have to play nice! TAke care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry this happened and I think I would report it to your doctor. When my brothers and I were children, people stared and pointed, but no one had a cell phone or ever took our picture. My parents taught us to smile and wave back. Sometimes people asked questions. We just said, "We were born with dry skin." It's hard on parents, but we who have ichthyosis survive these things and we are more caring and respectful of others who are different because of our own experiences. Thanks for being a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still shaking just from imagining that happen to Omri and me. Good for you to stay calm, i don't know if I could. Absolutely unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think one can be calm and still stand up for your child when someone is doing something that is totally against the law! Way too many perverts out there taking pictures of children!

    ReplyDelete